Sin Dee NYC’s Guide to the NYC Lockdown (COVID-19)
New York is on Pause. The streets resemble a cross between a zombie apocalypse and the coming of the rapture. CDC PSAs that encourage social distancing started popping up between our “normal programming”. Like a news clip out of the 2007 film, I Am Legend. Live Shows like WWE’s RAW and Smack Down are filmed without their live audience. Empty arenas with only 10 people max, as is the new law. The New World Order.
The new rules include Social Distancing, masks, gloves, quarantines, and washing your hands (for exactly 20 seconds). The social norm, is ant-social.
So before we head down that creepy Cabin Fever road and the streets start resembling Mad Max, let’s chill. Below is Sin Dee NYC’s guide to surviving the NYC lock-down. Ways to be productive, have fun, and up your skills while following the new CDC recommendations.
Stay safe, and keep calm. We’ll be OK, Sinners.
Up Your Skills
- General Assembly has been one of my favorite on-site and online training centers. I’ve used them through work reimbursement programs, and on my own to learn more skills for Sin Dee NYC. The best part is they always offer FREE workshops and webinars. Just follow this link for online events like “Changing Careers from the Comfort of Home”, and “WTF is TikTok? Prepare for Gen Z nation”.
- Coursera announced on March 25th that until May 31st, they’re making a selection of their courses free to “anyone, anywhere”. Check out their huge and diverse list here.
- Get your colored markers out! If you’re a social content nerd like me, you’ll enjoy this free and frilly downloadable Q2 2020 Content Calendars by Planoly.
- Here’s some free content for posting to your Instagram page. Canva has added #StopTheSpread templates that can also be simply downloaded and shared. Or you can get artsy with it and customize with your own colors and branding. Either way they made it easy to spread the word about not spreading… eh you get it.
Quarantine & Chill
- Now’s the time to go ahead and binge that series you never had the chance. In fact, you can probably do it in 2 days now. While you’re working. While spring-cleaning. We’re all doing it, but why not do it for cheap? At the start of the lock-down, FastCo shared “Here’s how to try every major streaming service for free during the coronavirus quarantine”. Go sweet Sinners! Be Sloths!
- IMDB has a pretty sweet list of 100 Best Disaster, Apocalyptic & Post-Apocalyptic Movies which I find useful for note-taking and compiling supply lists.
- Don’t forget to subscribe to the Sin Dee NYC YouTube Channel. You can catch up on the mental health series #SinSpeaks. There’s even a special edition of Sinful Screenings straight from the COVID-19 epicenter. More videos are on the way…
Party in Your Crib
- Companies like DoNYC who rely on live events to keep their businesses running have turned to the web to provide loyal customers with free streamed events. The list is constantly growing. Now you have an excuse to shower, slap on some glitter, and don those platforms you can’t walk in – for a party in your living room.
- Here’s another list of Upcoming Live Stream Concerts hosted by Bandsintown.
- My boy at Hot Indie Media has been pumping out live-streams like it’s his day job! Follow his Facebook for alerts on when he goes live interviewing local metal bands and streams live performances. Brooklyn in the house!